Cha-cha-cha-chia! You’ve probably heard of chia seeds and if you’re a person of a certain age, you may even remember the chia pet. But have you tried them yet?
One of the healthiest breakfasts requires absolutely no cooking, takes very little time to make and it contains chia seeds. One tablespoon of chia seeds has six grams of fiber, three grams of protein and almost three grams of Omega-3 fatty acids. You’ll also get 8% of your daily Calcium and Vitamin A and 4% of your Iron. Due to the high fiber content, chia seeds have also been proven to help people lose weight by helping them feel full and reducing their appetite. Chia seeds are one of the latest trends in “superfoods” and it’s very easy to incorporate them into your diet. Here is one of my favorite recipes for making a Strawberry Vanilla Chia Pod. This is such a healthy and delicious treat that the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it as a dessert with vegan whip cream on special occasions.
Strawberry Vanilla Chia Pod
1 Qt. Container of Fresh Organic Strawberries
2 ½ Cups of Non-Dairy Milk (Almond, Hemp & Flax are my favorites)
1 tbsp Organic Vanilla Extract
½ Cup Chia Seeds
2 tbsp Bee Free Honey (made from Apples & is completely vegan)
- You’ll need 4-4 ounce glass jar containers
- Puree the strawberries in a food processor or Vitamix
- Mix the non-dairy milk, vanilla extract, honey in a bowl
- Add the strawberry puree and the chia seeds in the bowl with the milk, vanilla extract and honey and blend by hand with a spoon
- Spoon the mixture into each of the 4 ounce jars
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours prior to serving
Tip: Add bananas and blueberries to the chia pod in the morning for more flavor and more nutritious goodness.